Friday, October 15, 2010

One Year Anniversary

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of Abigail's heart surgery. I mentioned it to Grant the night before and we both are amazed by how hard it was but also how long ago it feels. Crazy. I kept reliving what it was like going to bed, knowing we would only sleep for two hours before a pedialite feeding followed by fasting and needing to be at the hospital by 6am. We were both in "let's get this done" mode until we met the surgeon and at that point, I think we both stopped striving and just fell apart. What a glorious day.

We spent our day celebrating in small ways. I had BSF in the morning and Abby got to play and dance with her new friends there. We went to lunch afterward and she got to have cheese pizza (a hit! and a weight gainer!). She also learned how to say "Oprah".



We sang lots of "clapping hands" songs



and she tried on her Raggedy Ann hat (possible costume number one).


After her nap we headed to the South Pasadena Pharmacy -- a ridiculously cute old school soda fountain (and pharmacy) where we shared an enormous scoop of ice cream and a sugar cone.



By the way, did you know they now call "plain" cones "cake"? So much better! Anyway.... she loved the Mocha Almond Fudge and we worked off some of the sugar at the park afterward only to come home and walk up and down the street a few times and play in the mud with our sweet neighbor, Miss. Robin.




I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in His hands

He knows my name
Can you believe it?

- Tommy Walker; He Knows My Name

I heard this song for the first time recently and it brought back all of the emotion from a year ago. How could I view the hardship of what we went through as a loving act from a loving God? It wasn't because the outcome was good. It was because we trust who God says that He is. We are so thankful that he formed Abigail's heart as "imperfect" as it was and are even more thankful for the wonderful surgery that ensued. Thank God that our lives are always, even in trials, completely in His hands.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Praise God for He does love and care for us.. Indeed He did know our form and name before we were! Such a loving God, who holds us through the anxious and joyful times..Trusting in Him is so sweet. We must never forget this miracle of Abby Mae. Praise Him for prayer that draws us closer to Him. Praise His Holy Name.

Abby Mae's Thankful Grandma

Emma said...

You've come a long way, my friend. I'm so happy that you've made such huge strides in your development. Can't wait to see you again!