Friday, August 15, 2014

Kindergarten, Here She Comes?


A few days ago was our Kindergarten orientation. She cried and fretted and worried. "I'm nervous, mom. And mostly, I'm going to miss you." I heard this nine times a day. I tried to stay positive. I responded with "Me too! I always miss you when I'm not with you." I reminded her that God was always with her. I reminded her that we were in each others hearts all day long.

God help me. I prayed this time after time.  Please, help me.  Help me make this a learning experience.

I used to roll my eyes at people who cried after dropping their kids off at Kindergarten. Cold hearted, right? And then I had a baby girl and my heart was ripped out of my body. And now i get it. 

So, I actually prayed. But I'm realizing that the praying ended up being more for me than for her. Time and again I can't see past my circumstances. I am afraid that current feelings will be "forever feelings." Such little faith. Such silly fears. For as I've said time and again this week, He did not give us a spirit of fear but of power and love and self control. Amen.

When the kids were called up to get in line and go see their classroom for 10 minutes without the parents, her little shoulders heaved and I saw her walking to get in line, trying to hide her tears. Trying to be brave. Trying to keep it together. 

And while she was gone, I knew she'd be okay.  I knew she'd been through worse. I knew she'd disappeared behind an O.R. door before and had miraculously made it through.

And afterward, I actually heard in my ear, "Mom," barely a whisper, "it was good. It was awesome."

For that? Frozen yogurt to celebrate.

She and Abram post orientation...


1254.  clothes not being an issue
1255. socks with no tears
1256. bravery and more bravery
1257. living 3 minutes from school

No comments: