Abby started swim lessons a few weeks ago and it ended up being scheduled during Ford's morning nap. I had these great visions of me sitting on the side, with Fordy, watching Abby learn to do the breaststroke. Had I forgotten that my child will now no longer sit still... ever? And around water? Forget it! He would be crying, dying to be in the pool too. I'm so glad the schedule turned out the way it did.
Here are the girls on their first day... ready to go and (notice!) happy.
Abby started off strong but as soon as the first lesson was under way and she realized she needed to float on her back, things went downhill. From then on, while her buddy had a good time and went under and actually started to show signs of actually doing something that looks like swimming, Abby cried -- more and more each lesson. I don't think it helped that at night in the tub, Ford would blow bubbles (which she refuses to do) and would put his face in.
We figured some things out along the way and now, as we have one lesson left... she's actually starting to get into it. I think. Perhaps she's into the "treasure chest" that she gets to pick a toy from if she doesn't scream. Scream. Yes. She screams. We have lots of talks about doing hard things, about perseverance, about prayer, about doing things we don't want to do....and there is the occasional ice cream bribe (Ford loves his 25 cent cone!)...
It's been a tough thing for her. I know it's common. But with how excited she was to do it, I must say, I was surprised. And now, goggles are used mostly for morning reading. And for now, I'm great with that.
700. operation snake find
701. the baby pool being new all over again
702. the sprinkler during September
703. the bathroom extras
704. our bedroom drapes & their price

1 comment:
Oh My Goodness Ford
You take after your Uncle Bill
Jill you didn't believe me I bet
How exciting would that be awesome if it sticks
Abby will be fine giver her a year or two
She will be a great swimmer.
Love You All
Hugs
Grandmama
Post a Comment